Asian Games cycling track spared from fire
The Jakarta Post
The cycling track designed for the 2018 Asian Games was spared from a fire that gutted a storeroom within the Jakarta International Velodrome in Rawamangun, East Jakarta, on Thursday night.
“The fire happened outside the [cycling] arena. The smoke was indeed seen from the velodrome,” PT Jakarta Propertindo (Jakpro) corporate secretary Hani Sumarno said on Friday as quoted by tempo.co.
She claimed the velodrome did not suffer any losses from the fire.
The fire occurred in a Jakarta Youth and Sports Agency storeroom around 6:15 p.m. Eleven fire trucks were deployed to put out the fire. The fire was fully extinguished around 7 p.m.
“We appreciate the work of the firefighters. The newly finished racing facility was spared from the fire,” Hani said.
The velodrome complex covers 9.5 hectares. The arena was designed by Schuermann Architects and has a 250-meter cycling track. The arena can seat 3,500 spectators.
The velodrome has other functions, such as facilitating volleyball, badminton and futsal events. It also can function as a concert venue with a capacity of 8,500 people. (gis)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper