Prabowo picks Sandi as running mate
The Jakarta Post
The Gerindra Party, PAN and PKS decided to pair Gerindra leader Prabowo Subianto and Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno without the support of the Democratic Party.
“This is not an easy process. This process is tiring. I have tried to build a big coalition,” Prabowo told reporters at his residence in South Jakarta 11:30 p.m.
“Sandiaga is the best choice there is. He has made a sacrifice. He is willing to resign from his position as deputy governor so that he can serve the nation and the state.”
Prabowo practically ignored the reccommendation made by the anti-Ahok Islamist groups that he picked celebrity preacher Abdul Somad as his running mate.
As of 10:30 p.m., the Democratic Party said it still rejected Sandiaga’s candidacy. The party is left with the option of joining either the Prabowo or Jokowi camp. The Election Law bans political parties from sitting out the presidential election.
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- Lewinsky affair not an abuse of power, says Hillary Clinton
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Delayed school entry good for mental health: Study
- #UninstallGojek trends after executive shows support for LGBT community
- Erdogan, Saudi king discuss case of missing journalist: Turkish presidency
- The warning signs get stronger