Prabowo, Sandiaga officially register for presidential race
Karina M. Tehusijarana
The Jakarta Post
After months of uncertainty, Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto and former Jakarta deputy governor Sandiaga Uno officially registered as presidential and vice presidential candidates at the General Elections Commission (KPU) in Central Jakarta on Friday.
Prabowo and Sandiaga were accompanied by representatives from the five parties in their coalition: Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the National Mandate Party (PAN), the Democratic Party, and newcomer the Berkarya Party.
“We will accept and respect whatever the people decide, we only want to rule with the permission of the people. We want to serve so that there are no poor people in Indonesia, no hungry people in Indonesia and no injustice in Indonesia,” Prabowo said in a speech after the registration.
Sandiaga doubled down on Prabowo’s economic message.
“In the next few months, we will fight together with the people to bring about economic growth and renewal so we can create more jobs,” he said. “We want affordable prices, we want stable food prices and we want faster development with a clean government."
Gerindra spokesman Andre Rosiade confirmed that, in addition to resigning from his position as deputy governor, Sandiaga had also resigned his Gerindra membership.
“Bang Sandi belongs to all parties, he is independent now,” Andre said. (swd)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says