PAN to lose Cabinet seat for backing Prabowo
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform Minister Asman Abnur, a National Mandate Party (PAN) politician, may have to resign or get fired in the near future following his party’s decision to challenge President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s relection bid in 2019.
State Secretary Pratikno signaled on Tuesday that Asman, who is the only PAN representative in the Cabinet, could be shown the door in an upcoming reshuffle
"There is a possibility [of a reshuffle] as part of the consequences of dynamics in politics and presidential candidacy," Pratikno said. "It's also about who is inside and who is outside the coalition."
PAN has decided to join the opposition Gerindra-party led coalition for next year's election, backing presidential candidate pair Prabowo Subianto-Sandiaga Uno. The coalition comprises Gerindra, PAN, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) and the Democratic Party.
Pratikno, however, maintained that the President was satisfied with Asman's performance as a minister, particularly since the PAN politician was able to reform bureaucracy in state institutions to focus on serving the public.
"The [reshuffle] will be decided very quickly, we just need to wait for the President's decision," Pratikno said. (ahw)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world