Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon


    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon


    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon


    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon


    26℃ - 30℃

Papua military command beef up security after two soldiers killed

  • Nethy Dharma Somba
    Nethy Dharma Somba

    The Jakarta Post

Jayapura | Mon, August 20, 2018 | 06:25 pm
Papua military command beef up security after two soldiers killed A map of Papua (JP/-)

The Cendrawasih Military Command (Kodam) in Papua beefed up security following an encounter between armed civilians and military personnel in Puncak Jaya regency, Papua, on Sunday which resulted in the deaths of two military personnel.

“I order all levels of personnel of Cenderawasih Kodam to increase their caution in every post,” Cendrawasih Kodam 17 commander Maj. Gen. George E Supit said Monday.

“And to chase the armed separatist criminal group [the Papua National Liberation Army], which is based in the forests of inland Papua,” he added.

George, however, ensured that the situation in Papua remained "under control" because the scene was relatively far from the center of public activities.

Lt. Inf. Arman Blegur, the head of military task force for safeguarding vulnerable areas in Tingginambut, and First Officer Fredi, a member of the task force, were shot by armed civilians on Sunday afternoon.

The incident occurred when the armed civilians encountered the victims at the Tingginambut bridge. At that time, the soldiers were heading to a village after receiving a call from Teranus Enumbi, a member of the armed group who requested food in exchange for firearms that they had, according to the military command. The two soldiers rode a motorcycle to the village at around 1:30 p.m., but half an hour later residents reported that the two had been shot.

When found, the victims had suffered gunshot wounds and a bow shot. The bodies were then transferred to Mulia Hospital in Papua before being flown to Jakarta to their families on Monday morning. (sau/swd)

Join the discussions