Saudi foils Yemen rebels boat attack in Red Sea
The Saudi-led coalition said on Thursday it had foiled a booby-trapped boat attack by Yemen's Huthis in the Red Sea weeks after the rebels hit a Saudi oil tanker.
A statement cited by state-run Al-Ekhbariya news channel did not identify the target of the attack but the rebel-run Saba news agency said the Huthis hit a Saudi military target inside the kingdom's territorial waters. It gave no further details.
The coalition statement said "the terrorist attack by a booby-trapped boat was launched from the shores of Hodeida," a city off the strategic Bab Al-Mandeb straits.
The coalition, which has been fighting the Iran-backed Huthi Shiite militias since March 2015, accused the Huthis and the Iranian revolutionary guards of continuing to threaten international navigation routes and world trade.
It also reaffirmed that the protection of the Bab Al-Mandeb waterway is an international responsibility.
Last month, the Huthi rebels hit a giant Saudi oil tanker in the strategic waterway off Yemen coast causing minor damage.
Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest crude oil supplier, on July 26 halted exports through Bab Al-Mandeb as a result of the attack before resuming the shipments 10 days later.
Bab al-Mandab is a crucial shipping lane between the Arabian Peninsula and the Horn of Africa, linking the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.
About 4.8 million barrels of oil and petroleum products pass through the strait every day, according to US government figures.
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world