Jokowi upbeat Indonesia will surpass Asian Games target
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo expressed his optimism on Monday that the national team will beat its gold medal-winning target of 16 in the 18th Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang.
He said the host team stood a good chance of finishing first in a number of sports other than pencak silat, such as badminton, karate, jet skiing, rock climbing and canoeing, to increase its gold-medal tally.
“I think the target that we have set of 16 gold medals will, God willing, be surpassed,” the President said as quoted by Antara at Gatot Soebroto Army Hospital in Jakarta. He was responding to the news of Indonesia’s first gold in pencak silat won by Puspa Arumsari
Indonesia is eying 16 golds to secure a top-10 finish at the continent’s biggest sporting fiesta. With two more gold medals from the pencak silat competition, Indonesia ranks fifth in the provisional standing overall with 14 gold medals behind Iran, which has a superior silver-medal collection.
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week