Asian Games: Unified Korea, China vie for women’s basketball gold
Stefanno Reinard Sulaiman
The Jakarta Post
Unified Korea (COR) and China will face each other in the women’s basketball 5x5 final at the Gelora Bung Karno sports complex in Central Jakarta on Saturday.
China, who tops the scoring list with an average of 117.8 points per match, edged out Japan 86-74 in Thursday’s semifinal.
Japan played out a three-point shot strategy in the final quarter, but failed to narrow the double digit score that China had built at the end of the second quarter.
China captain Ting Shao led the score sheet with 16 points over Japan’s Mio Shinozaki who scored 17.
In the other group, Korea outclassed Chinese Taipei 89-66, with Lim Yung-hui, Hyejin Park and Suk Yong Ro each scoring 17 points.
The final on Saturday will give Korea another opportunity to make history.
Korea, comprising South and North Korean athletes, competed in three sporting events at the Asian Games, winning gold in the women’s 500 meter canoeing event on Sunday after beating China.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Indonesia launches 16th economic package
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw