Asian Games: Unified Korea, China vie for women’s basketball gold
Stefanno Reinard Sulaiman
The Jakarta Post
Unified Korea (COR) and China will face each other in the women’s basketball 5x5 final at the Gelora Bung Karno sports complex in Central Jakarta on Saturday.
China, who tops the scoring list with an average of 117.8 points per match, edged out Japan 86-74 in Thursday’s semifinal.
Japan played out a three-point shot strategy in the final quarter, but failed to narrow the double digit score that China had built at the end of the second quarter.
China captain Ting Shao led the score sheet with 16 points over Japan’s Mio Shinozaki who scored 17.
In the other group, Korea outclassed Chinese Taipei 89-66, with Lim Yung-hui, Hyejin Park and Suk Yong Ro each scoring 17 points.
The final on Saturday will give Korea another opportunity to make history.
Korea, comprising South and North Korean athletes, competed in three sporting events at the Asian Games, winning gold in the women’s 500 meter canoeing event on Sunday after beating China.
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper