Asian Games: Japan wins women’s triathlon gold medal
The Jakarta Post
Takahashi Yuko of Japan stormed to the gold medal in the women’s Olympic distance triathlon at the 18th Asian Games in the South Sumatra capital of Palembang on Friday.
Yuko completed the endurance race in a combined time of 1:59:29. She clocked 19.02 minutes in the 1,500-m swimming, 1:20:04 in the 40-km cycling and 39:01 in the final 10-km run.
“It was not easy but I was feeling good with high-level competition in hot weather,” said Yuko after the medal presentation.
She set the pace throughout the race, which saw four triathletes throw in the towel before the finish line on account of the heat. Zhong Mengying of China took the silver and Hoi Long of Macau the bronze.
Indonesia’s Andi Ameera Sayaka Cakravastia only managed to finish 17th in 2:38:54, but said she settled for the result in her Asian Games debut. “Completing the race is already a record for me as I used to compete in a race half this distance,” she said.
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court