Asian Games: Japan wins women’s triathlon gold medal
The Jakarta Post
Takahashi Yuko of Japan stormed to the gold medal in the women’s Olympic distance triathlon at the 18th Asian Games in the South Sumatra capital of Palembang on Friday.
Yuko completed the endurance race in a combined time of 1:59:29. She clocked 19.02 minutes in the 1,500-m swimming, 1:20:04 in the 40-km cycling and 39:01 in the final 10-km run.
“It was not easy but I was feeling good with high-level competition in hot weather,” said Yuko after the medal presentation.
She set the pace throughout the race, which saw four triathletes throw in the towel before the finish line on account of the heat. Zhong Mengying of China took the silver and Hoi Long of Macau the bronze.
Indonesia’s Andi Ameera Sayaka Cakravastia only managed to finish 17th in 2:38:54, but said she settled for the result in her Asian Games debut. “Completing the race is already a record for me as I used to compete in a race half this distance,” she said.
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route