Bawaslu lets former graft convict run in 2019 Jakarta election
The Jakarta Post
The Elections Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) decided on Friday to allow former corruption convict Mohamad Taufik to run in the 2019 legislative election.
Following Bawaslu’s decision, the Jakarta General Election Commission (KPU Jakarta), as the party challenged by Gerindra Party politician Taufik for its decision to scrap him from the list of potential legislative candidates, will hold a meeting with the KPU to discuss the decision.
KPU Jakarta’s decision to remove Taufik, the current Jakarta Council deputy speaker, was based on the KPU Regulation No. 20/2018 on legislative and regional council candidates, which bars former corruption convicts from taking part in the 2019 legislative elections.
The regulation stipulates that political parties are not allowed to nominate members who have been convicted of sexual assault, drug abuse or corruption.
Taufik filed an appeal to the Supreme Court to challenge the KPU regulation.
KPU Jakarta commissioner Nurdin said on Friday that the commission would meet with the general KPU, “to discuss the decision”. KPU Jakarta could only follow instructions from the general KPU, he added.
Taufik was found guilty of corruption in 2004 when he was head of KPU Jakarta in a corruption case involving the procurement of election materials. He was sentenced to 18 months in prison for causing state losses of Rp 488 million (US$32,866).
Taufik has also emerged as a candidate for Jakarta deputy governor after Sandiaga Uno left the position to run in the presidential election next year as a vice presidential candidate alongside Gerindra chairman Prabowo Subianto. (stu)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world