Egyptian arrested for domestic violence in Kalibata City
The Jakarta Post
South Jakarta Police have detained an Egyptian national identified only as KM, 33, for alleged domestic violence against his Indonesian wife, N, 48, in their apartment in Kalibata City, South Jakarta.
“His friends told him that Indonesians tended to have love affairs. He was haunted by that idea so that he became continuously suspicious of his wife,” Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar, the South Jakarta Police chief, said on Saturday as quoted by kompas.com.
“However there is no evidence that his wife cheated on him,” Indra went on, adding that N’s phone had been checked to find any evidence of adultery.
Indra said urine tests had shown that KM was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the violence, leading to the conclusion that he frequently abused his wife.
The police crimes division head, Adj. Sr. Comr. Stefanus Michael Tamutuan, said that on Monday KM had allegedly beaten N using a broomstick. When the broomstick broke, he continued with a mop handle and finally with an iron bar he kept in the apartment’s cupboard. When KM took a knife from the kitchen, N pleaded with him not to stab her.
The next day N reported the incident to the women and children’s division of the South Jakarta Police. KM was arrested on Wednesday.
KM, who has an official stay permit to live in Indonesia, is now facing charges under Law No. 23/2004 on the eradication of domestic violence. (gis)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Asia Sentinel' apologizes to Yudhoyono, Dems
- Five destinations to be developed into one geopark
- Indonesians ready to embrace cashless future
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food