Indonesia records 0.05 percent deflation in August
Marchio Irfan Gorbiano
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia recorded deflation of 0.05 percent in August on the back of decreasing foodstuff prices, while the start of the school year resulted in inflation in the education spending category, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) announced on Monday.
August’s deflation is in contrast to the 0.28 percent inflation recorded in the previous month. The latest figure brought year-to-date (ytd) inflation to 2.13 percent, while year-on-year (yoy) inflation in August was recorded at 3.2 percent.
The deflation in August corresponded with 0.07 percent deflation and 0.02 percent deflation in the same period in 2017 and 2016, respectively.
The government has targeted inflation to hover between 2.5 and 4.5 percent this year.
“August's deflation was affected by price decreases in chicken eggs and shallots, as well as airline rates,” said BPS head Suhariyanto in Jakarta on Monday.
Price decreases in airline rates contributed to 0.15 percent deflation in transportation, communications and financial services in August.
In the same month, there were price increases in the education sector and inflation of 1.03 percent in the education, recreation and sports categories.
Inflation was recorded in school fees at elementary schools and high schools.
Core inflation stood at 0.3 percent last month, while administered prices deflated by 0.06 percent and volatile prices by 1.24 percent. (bbn)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Malaysia ex-PM faces 21 new charges over 1MDB scandal
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Asia Sentinel' apologizes to Yudhoyono, Dems
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food
- BMKG warns of heavy rains, high waves as Typhoon Mangkhut ends
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Five destinations to be developed into one geopark