Three students drown in Lake Toba
The Jakarta Post
Three female junior high school students reportedly drowned on Wednesday afternoon in Lake Toba, Rianiate village, Samosir regency, North Sumatra.
Rianiate village secretary Boy Naibaho told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday that their bodies have been released to their families.
Boy added that the victims were Esra Kumban Batu and Devi Marbun, both of Rianiate village, and Sri Tetty Simbolon of Hutanamora village.
All were 14-year-old students at 4 Satu Atap Pangururan junior high school in Samosir.
Boy said the victims and fellow students decided to take a swim in Lake Toba after conducting group work after school.
They initially swam in the shallows but moved deeper into the lake. The wo victims, Devi and Sri who were not good swimmers, reportedly called for help after getting into difficulties.
A local resident, Leo Simbolon, heard them shouting and immediately swam out to help them. However, he only managed to save one student named Siska Sinurat.
Local residents combed the shore and found their bodies at around 3:30 p.m. local time. (sau)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump