Three students drown in Lake Toba
The Jakarta Post
Three female junior high school students reportedly drowned on Wednesday afternoon in Lake Toba, Rianiate village, Samosir regency, North Sumatra.
Rianiate village secretary Boy Naibaho told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday that their bodies have been released to their families.
Boy added that the victims were Esra Kumban Batu and Devi Marbun, both of Rianiate village, and Sri Tetty Simbolon of Hutanamora village.
All were 14-year-old students at 4 Satu Atap Pangururan junior high school in Samosir.
Boy said the victims and fellow students decided to take a swim in Lake Toba after conducting group work after school.
They initially swam in the shallows but moved deeper into the lake. The wo victims, Devi and Sri who were not good swimmers, reportedly called for help after getting into difficulties.
A local resident, Leo Simbolon, heard them shouting and immediately swam out to help them. However, he only managed to save one student named Siska Sinurat.
Local residents combed the shore and found their bodies at around 3:30 p.m. local time. (sau)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy