Magdalene editor-in-chief receives SK Trimurti Award
The Jakarta Post
Devi Asmarani, co-founder and chief editor of web magazine Magdalene.co, received this year’s SK Trimurti Award from the Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI) for her continuous efforts in raising awareness about gender equality.
Magdalene is a bilingual online magazine offering articles in English and Indonesian with the slogan "a slanted guide to women and issues”.
“We appreciate Devi’s effort in raising feminist issues through her writing, books, as well as her media [platform]. She is not afraid of creating a different type of content amid fierce competition between online media [outlets],” National Commission on Violence Against Women (Komnas Perempuan) commissioner Mariana Amiruddin, who served on the award’s judges panel, said during AJI’s 24th anniversary celebration on Friday evening.
She went on to explain that the judges selected this year’s winner by assessing the nominees’ issues of concern, their area of activism and how long they have worked on raising awareness on their respective causes.
Out of the five nominees, Mariana said, Devi had intrigued the judges the most. Devi herself was not present during the award ceremony and was represented by Magdalene reporter and social media manager Ayunda Nurvitasari.
Devi Asmarani (Courtesy of Magdalene.co/-)
Before establishing Magdalene with fellow journalist Hera Diani, Devi was a journalist at The Jakarta Post and The Straits Times.
The SK Trimurti Award was named after Soerastri Karma Trimurti, an Indonesian journalist who was born during the Dutch colonial era. Throughout her life, Trimurti was imprisoned several times and endured torture because of her firm stance against colonialism. (evi)
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Foreign investors allowed to own 100% shares in 25 business units
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- Afghan refugees stage protest in Medan, asking to be sent to Oz, US
- Whale shark seen in Jakarta Bay
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official