Magdalene editor-in-chief receives SK Trimurti Award
The Jakarta Post
Devi Asmarani, co-founder and chief editor of web magazine Magdalene.co, received this year’s SK Trimurti Award from the Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI) for her continuous efforts in raising awareness about gender equality.
Magdalene is a bilingual online magazine offering articles in English and Indonesian with the slogan "a slanted guide to women and issues”.
“We appreciate Devi’s effort in raising feminist issues through her writing, books, as well as her media [platform]. She is not afraid of creating a different type of content amid fierce competition between online media [outlets],” National Commission on Violence Against Women (Komnas Perempuan) commissioner Mariana Amiruddin, who served on the award’s judges panel, said during AJI’s 24th anniversary celebration on Friday evening.
She went on to explain that the judges selected this year’s winner by assessing the nominees’ issues of concern, their area of activism and how long they have worked on raising awareness on their respective causes.
Out of the five nominees, Mariana said, Devi had intrigued the judges the most. Devi herself was not present during the award ceremony and was represented by Magdalene reporter and social media manager Ayunda Nurvitasari.
Devi Asmarani (Courtesy of Magdalene.co/-)
Before establishing Magdalene with fellow journalist Hera Diani, Devi was a journalist at The Jakarta Post and The Straits Times.
The SK Trimurti Award was named after Soerastri Karma Trimurti, an Indonesian journalist who was born during the Dutch colonial era. Throughout her life, Trimurti was imprisoned several times and endured torture because of her firm stance against colonialism. (evi)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas