Democratic Party allows pro-Jokowi cadres to remain
The Jakarta Post
The Democratic Party is granting a "dispensation" to its top-tiered regional cadres who have thrown their support behind President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo and running mate Ma'ruf Amin in the 2019 presidential election, a party executive has said.
Ferdinand Hutahean, the Democrats' legal and advocacy head, said the decision was made to retain the party's votes in certain electoral regions where support for Jokowi was high.
"We have seen strong public opinion and interests for supporting Jokowi [in several provinces] , so we must also think about saving the party," Ferdinand said as quoted by kompas.com on Sunday.
"The party's central executive board [DPP] will give special dispensation for certain regions, but only a few, not many," he said.
The cadres, however, were expected to support the party in winning the legislative election in their respective regions.
The Democratic Party, which is supporting challenger Prabowo Subianto-Sandiaga Uno for the presidency in 2019, held a meeting to discuss internal issues, including several party cadres who had decided to support Jokowi-Ma'ruf.
To date, at least four Democrats have publicly announced their support for Jokowi's reelection, including Papua Governor Lukas Enembe, East Java Governor Soekarwo, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Governor Muhammad Zainul Majdi, also known as Tuan Guru Bajang (TGB), and former West Java deputy governor Deddy Mizwar. (afr)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- ASEAN’s priority: China