Rival mass organizations agree to resolve conflict in South Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The Betawi Brotherhood Forum (FBR) and Pancasila Youth (PP) have agreed to resolve their differences following brawls between their members at several locations on Tuesday evening, apparently sparked by an attack on an FBR post in South Jakarta.
Pamulang Police chief Comr. Endang Sukma Wijaya said on Wednesday that police had begun to mediate between the long-time rivals just hours after the brawls had broken out. “We called the leaders of each organization to resolve the conflict amicably,” Endang said. “Some agreements were made. [The mediation] didn’t take long, only about 15 to 20 minutes,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com.
At 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, FBR’s Semut Item post in Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta, had been attacked with bottles and stones by some 20 plain-clothed motorcyclists, allegedly members of PP, South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar said.
In retaliation, about eight members of the FBR took on the motorcyclists in Kebayoran Baru and Pesanggrahan in South Jakarta; Ciledug in Tangerang; and Pamulang in South Tangerang in Banten.
No casualties have been reported. (stu)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent