Rival mass organizations agree to resolve conflict in South Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The Betawi Brotherhood Forum (FBR) and Pancasila Youth (PP) have agreed to resolve their differences following brawls between their members at several locations on Tuesday evening, apparently sparked by an attack on an FBR post in South Jakarta.
Pamulang Police chief Comr. Endang Sukma Wijaya said on Wednesday that police had begun to mediate between the long-time rivals just hours after the brawls had broken out. “We called the leaders of each organization to resolve the conflict amicably,” Endang said. “Some agreements were made. [The mediation] didn’t take long, only about 15 to 20 minutes,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com.
At 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, FBR’s Semut Item post in Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta, had been attacked with bottles and stones by some 20 plain-clothed motorcyclists, allegedly members of PP, South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Indra Jafar said.
In retaliation, about eight members of the FBR took on the motorcyclists in Kebayoran Baru and Pesanggrahan in South Jakarta; Ciledug in Tangerang; and Pamulang in South Tangerang in Banten.
No casualties have been reported. (stu)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow