Women gather in Yogyakarta to attend ICW general assembly
The Jakarta Post
As many as 150 delegates from 18 countries arrived in Yogyakarta on Thursday to attend the upcoming International Council of Women (ICW) general assembly.
Delegations from South Africa, Belgium, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Switzerland and Indonesia, among others, gathered at the Grand Inna Malioboro hotel to participate in the 35th general assembly of the ICW, which falls under the United Nations.
In the meantime, women from all over Indonesia will be attending the national gathering of Indonesia’s One Thousand Women Organizations.
Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection Minister Yohana Yembise is scheduled to open the event, while State-Owned Enterprises Minister Rini Soemarno is scheduled to give a keynote speech along with ICW president Kim Jung-sook and Indonesian Women Congress (Kowani) chairwoman Giwo Rubianto Wiyogo.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is also scheduled to give a speech during the opening ceremony on Friday, committee chairman Gatot Subagio told Antara.
The 35th ICW General Assembly’s theme will be on transforming society through women empowerment. Meanwhile, the theme for the national gathering of Indonesia’s a Thousand Women Organizations’ is 90 years of Indonesian women’s struggle in manifesting a glorious nation.
The events are also held to commemorate the 130th anniversary of the ICW and the 90th anniversary of Kowani. (ris/ahw)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper