ICW general assembly in Yogyakarta highlights women’s role in transforming society
The Jakarta Post
International Council of Women (ICW) president Kim Jung-sook highlighted the role of women in transforming society with their feminine qualities during the ICW’s 35thGeneral Assembly, which kicked off in Yogyakarta on Thursday.
“As the gender that bears, gives birth and nurtures life, women can transform society through caring and loving leadership. Now it is time that we, the women of the world, make all-out effort to transform society through women’s empowerment,” ICW president Kim Jung-sook during her speech.
State-Owned Enterprises Minister Rini Soemarno, who gave a keynote speech at the event, said the Indonesian government, through SOEs, continued to support women, especially those involved in small and medium enterprises.
She also said Indonesia had a long history with women’s rights that had resulted in women’s active participation in politics.
“There are eight women ministers in President Joko ‘Jokowi’ Widodo’s Cabinet. This is the highest number of women in a Cabinet ever recorded in Indonesia’s history,” she said.
As many as 150 delegates from 18 countries are attending the event that will be held until Sep. 18. Besides the members, Ambassador of the Russian Federation Lyudmila Vorobieva, Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Roya Rahmani and Ambassador of the Fiji Republic Seleima Veisamasama also attended the event. (ris/swd)
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Nissan’s Ghosn arrested over financial law violation
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world