Five city councilors resign as they switch parties for 2019 elections
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Council (DPRD) has announced the resignation of five members planning to run for different political parties in the 2019 legislative elections.
The resignations were announced at a plenary meeting on Friday.
The City Council’s deputy speaker, Triwisaksana, said the resignations were in line with rules imposed by the General Elections Commission (KPU).
“In accordance with the KPU regulation, they must resign and will soon be replaced by others,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com.
Lulung Abraham Lunggana, who was a councilor in the United Development Party (PPP) faction serving his second term until 2019, resigned on July 30, since he has been nominated by the National Mandate Party (PAN) for a seat in the upcoming election to the House of Representatives.
Another former PPP council member, Riano P. Ahmad, is running for another term in the council with the support of his new party, PAN.
Two council members that used to represent the Hanura Party, Wahyu Dewanto and Jamaluddin Lamanda, resigned to run for City Council seats on behalf of the Gerindra Party and the National Awakening Party (PKB).
Meanwhile, Inggard Joshua has turned his back on the NasDem Party to run on a Gerindra ticket for another term in the city council.
Triwisaksana said the five members who have resigned would be replaced by the legislative candidates securing the second-most votes in the 2014 election.
He added that the City Council would send a letter to the KPU Jakarta to obtain the names of their replacements. (sau)
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Saudi Arabia's foreign minister to visit Indonesia
- In China's Catholic heartland, Vatican deal brings Communist Party closer
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- The other side of Korea: Art, food and history
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action