UN chief, Mahathir to visit Palu: Wiranto
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
The two guests plan to visit Palu, which suffered damages because of a recent 7.4-magnitude earthquake and tsunami, on the sidelines of the International Monetary Fund-World Bank (IMF-WB) Annual Meetings in Nusa Dua, Bali, Wiranto said.
"We have to make best arrangements to secure their visit to Palu and ensure their safe trip," Wiranto said after a coordination meeting to discuss preparations for their visit at his office.
Wiranto said planes to Palu were busy carrying humanitarian supplies, while disaster-response and relief efforts were still ongoing in the disaster-affected areas.
"Amid the situation, we have to receive the guests and, thus, we should make arrangements, including to decide on [...] who will provide guidance and which [places] will be visited," he added.
Meanwhile, National Police deputy chief Comr. Gen. Ari Dono Sukmanto said that Guterres and Mahathir would probably visit Petobo subdistrict in Palu, and Sigi and Donggala regencies and the authorities would ensure security for them.
"We will prepare security measures on certain routes to ensure a smooth visit [for the guests]," he said. (evi)
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Washington diocese names 31 former clergy accused of abuse
- Man arrested for buying baby via Instagram
- Indonesia warns against Australia’s possible embassy move to Jerusalem
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- The warning signs get stronger
- Police on high alert ahead of Indian temple opening to women
- Microsoft co-founder, investor, philanthropist Allen dead at 65