Ministry mulls over remunerations hike for regional heads
The Jakarta Post
The Finance Ministry is conducting a study on the possibility of increasing remunerations for regional heads – governors, mayors and regents – as part of a broader effort to reduce rampant corruption practices, according to a top official.
“We are conducting a study. We will also report the idea to the President because he also has concerns about the remuneration arrangements, particularly for officials in the regions,” Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said in Jakarta on Wednesday as reported by kompas.com.
Previously, Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) commissioner Laode Muhammad Syarif said that since 2014, the KPK had investigated 99 regional heads for graft, nearly all of whom were later found guilty.
This year alone from January to Oct. 15, 25 regional heads have been investigated by the commission.
Sri Mulyani said the study aimed to understand whether a higher salary would discourage regional heads from accepting bribes.
She added that their remuneration packages needed to be revised systematically and comprehensively, but there has yet to be a study on the urgency of a change.
Sri Mulyani did not disclose when the Finance Ministry’s study started and when it would be turned into a government policy.
She further welcomed the input of all relevant parties in the matter, including the KPK, on how to remunerate regional heads so they would not be interested in involving themselves in graft.
“We will seriously consider suggestions from the KPK,” she added. (bbn)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says