Central Java to host annual durian festival in March
The Jakarta Post
Durian lovers get out your diaries, because the annual Durian Ndirun Festival is coming from March 25 to 26 in Ndirun hamlet at the Singamerta village, Banjarnegara regency, Central Java.
Among the available activities in the festival's third edition is a durian package tour, in which tourists will be invited to learn more about the fruit—how to pick and choose the good ones, as well as know the difference between different types of durian.
“The festival is part of the residents' effort to increase the potential of the local durian industry,” the regency's Tourism and Cultural Agency marketing head, Widi Anggoro Asih, told kompas.com on Wednesday.
Widi said the hamlet was home to many durian gardens and had been regarded a local durian center. The durian starting price is Rp 25,000 (US$ 1.8) per fruit. During last year's festival, hundreds of durian were given away for free.
"For this year's festival, we will also give away free durian, as well as hold a durian auction and art performances."
Banjarnegara itself has various durian varieties, with characteristics ranging from sweet to bitter and sour. “The native variety of Banjarnegara is durian montong,” Widhy said.
Singamerta village is located around 71 kilometers from the Purwokerto train station. Interested tourists can reach the village using available modes of transportation heading to Banjarnegara or Wonosobo. (mas/kes)
You might also like :
- 11 Indonesians evacuated from clashes in Marawi
- South Jakarta to record newcomers, increase security
- Four named suspects in case of alleged graft connected to BPK, ministry
- Anies Baswedan's brother passes away
- Religious leaders call for bolder steps against intolerant, anti-Pancasila groups
- Former first lady calls for fight against intolerance
- ‘Jamu’ fuels Jokowi’s frenetic schedule
- Call for tolerance as fasting month begins
- Bogor ensures plentiful stocks of staple foods during Ramadhan
- Jakarta to ban roadside predawn meals during Ramadhan