Central Java to host annual durian festival in March
The Jakarta Post
Durian lovers get out your diaries, because the annual Durian Ndirun Festival is coming from March 25 to 26 in Ndirun hamlet at the Singamerta village, Banjarnegara regency, Central Java.
Among the available activities in the festival's third edition is a durian package tour, in which tourists will be invited to learn more about the fruit—how to pick and choose the good ones, as well as know the difference between different types of durian.
“The festival is part of the residents' effort to increase the potential of the local durian industry,” the regency's Tourism and Cultural Agency marketing head, Widi Anggoro Asih, told kompas.com on Wednesday.
Widi said the hamlet was home to many durian gardens and had been regarded a local durian center. The durian starting price is Rp 25,000 (US$ 1.8) per fruit. During last year's festival, hundreds of durian were given away for free.
"For this year's festival, we will also give away free durian, as well as hold a durian auction and art performances."
Banjarnegara itself has various durian varieties, with characteristics ranging from sweet to bitter and sour. “The native variety of Banjarnegara is durian montong,” Widhy said.
Singamerta village is located around 71 kilometers from the Purwokerto train station. Interested tourists can reach the village using available modes of transportation heading to Banjarnegara or Wonosobo. (mas/kes)
You might also like :
- Indonesia prepares company to manage Freeport
- Freeport needs to stand up to Indonesia over the CoW issue
- Bandung terrorist suspect was 'recidivist': Police
- Indonesian woman shocked to find kidney had been removed after working in Qatar
- Rihanna is named Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year
- Anies, Ahok to face off in second round: KPU Jakarta
- Philippine militants release video of German's beheading
- NGO urges King Salman not to forget his promises to crane victims
- Six ways to identify an authentic Padang restaurant
- Ten truly remote places where your boss can’t track you down