Tourism Ministry discusses competitiveness index of 10 'New Bali'
The Jakarta Post
The Tourism Ministry is holding a series of workshops from April 20 to 22 to discuss the competitiveness index of the nation’s 10 priority tourist destinations, also known as 10 New Bali, in Tanjung Lesung, Banten.
The 10 new destinations are Lake Toba, North Sumatra; Bangka Belitung; Tanjung Lesung, Banten; Thousand Islands and Kota Tua, Jakarta; Borobudur Temple, Central Java; Bromo-Tengger-Semeru, East Java; Mandalika Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara; Labuan Bajo, East Nusa Tenggara; Wakatobi, Southeast Sulawesi; and Morotai, North Maluku.
Read also: Jakpost guide to Kota Tua
The ministry's archipelago tourism marketing development department deputy, Esthy Reko Astuti, said the workshop would be held in three more places and attended by representatives from the 10 destinations.
The second session will be on May 4-6 in Tanjung Kelayang and have representatives from the Thousand Islands and Lake Toba. Meanwhile, the third will be in Labuan Bajo from May 22-24 and attended by representatives from Wakatobi and Mandalika. The workshop in Tanjung Lesung was attended by Borobudur Temple and Mount Bromo representatives.
“For the first workshop in Banten, we want to educate and give information about the improvement of our national tourism competitiveness index, especially in Banten as Tanjung Lesung is one of our priority destinations,” said Astuti.
“The aim is to create marketing strategies for 10 priority tourist destinations and to find solutions for problems that are obstructing the development of tourism in Tanjung Lesung, Banten,” added the ministry’s tourism marketing strategy department acting assistant Hariyanto.
The tourism industry makes a significant contribution in generating foreign exchange for Indonesia. For 2017, the ministry has set a target of attracting 280 million tourists: 15 million from overseas and the remainder domestic tourists. (kes)
- Don't be afraid to come to Bali: Minister
- GenPI West Sumatra to host Siti Nurbaya Market
- Indonesia Tempeh Movement's Amadeus gives talk at Harvard Business School
- Jokowi appoints Robert Pakpahan as new tax chief
- Anies invited to ‘anti-Ahok’ 212 Rally Alumni gathering
- Indonesia, South Korea initiate plan to develop electric car battery
- Drone flown over Mount Agung to detect volcanic activity
- 'Real Bali' as Western construct: Rethinking tourism's 'ruination' of Bali
- Researchers spot interstellar visitor
- How social media is polarizing politics