Why you should visit Yogyakarta's Gunung Api Purba ecotourism site
The Jakarta Post
If you are looking to go camping, catch a sunrise or sunset and do some climbing all in one place, then head over to the Gunung Api Purba ecotourism site in Yogyakarta’s Gunungkidul regency.
There are 80 homestays available, whilst guests interested in spending a night or two at the Ngalanggeran tourist village may participate in some of the fun activities on offer, like lessons in farming and culture. Each hamlet has its own art group in which people can learn about traditional performances, such as jathilan, reog, gejog lesung, calung and karawitan.
There are several designated campsites at the top and on the slopes of the ancient volcano of Nglanggeran.
A plant called Termas that grows in the tourist area of Ngalanggeran is known for its healing power. Legend has it that the plant can cure any kind of sickness and that only the mountain’s caretaker can extract its sap to be turned into medicine.
Read also: ART|JOG|10:Changing perspective
Another interesting thing about the place is that there have always been only seven households living at the top of the volcano. It also hosts the Comberan water springs that never run dry, while washing your face with the water is said to slow down the aging of your skin.
There is also a headless but otherwise well preserved statue in the Goa Putri area near the mountain summit.
Other places you don’t want to miss when visiting the ecotourism site are Embung Kebun Buah Nglanggeran, Kedung Kandang and the Njurug Talang Purba Waterfall. (kes)
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- EDITORIAL: In step with the Nazis?
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police