Why you should visit Yogyakarta's Gunung Api Purba ecotourism site
The Jakarta Post
If you are looking to go camping, catch a sunrise or sunset and do some climbing all in one place, then head over to the Gunung Api Purba ecotourism site in Yogyakarta’s Gunungkidul regency.
There are 80 homestays available, whilst guests interested in spending a night or two at the Ngalanggeran tourist village may participate in some of the fun activities on offer, like lessons in farming and culture. Each hamlet has its own art group in which people can learn about traditional performances, such as jathilan, reog, gejog lesung, calung and karawitan.
There are several designated campsites at the top and on the slopes of the ancient volcano of Nglanggeran.
A plant called Termas that grows in the tourist area of Ngalanggeran is known for its healing power. Legend has it that the plant can cure any kind of sickness and that only the mountain’s caretaker can extract its sap to be turned into medicine.
Read also: ART|JOG|10:Changing perspective
Another interesting thing about the place is that there have always been only seven households living at the top of the volcano. It also hosts the Comberan water springs that never run dry, while washing your face with the water is said to slow down the aging of your skin.
There is also a headless but otherwise well preserved statue in the Goa Putri area near the mountain summit.
Other places you don’t want to miss when visiting the ecotourism site are Embung Kebun Buah Nglanggeran, Kedung Kandang and the Njurug Talang Purba Waterfall. (kes)
- Thousands protest in Jakarta against Trump's Jerusalem move
- Indonesia seeks to impose import duties on intangible goods
- "Where are the trees?," Jokowi slams green programs
- Major recall of Lactalis baby milk over salmonella fears
- Indonesia to voice developmental concerns at WTO conference
- Lippo to hold rights issue in first quarter of 2018
- Saudi Arabia hails Iraq victory over IS
- Indika completes acquisition of Kideco
- Potatoes for peace: how the humble tuber stopped conflict in Europe
- Israel minister calls for boycott of Arab area after riot