Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 26°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
26°C Light Rain

Rain until tomorrow morning, starting again tomorrow afternoon.

  • Thu

    26℃ - 31℃

  • Fri

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Sat

    27℃ - 32℃

  • Sun

    26℃ - 30℃

Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung

  •  

    Pesona Indonesia

Jakarta | Sat, September 23, 2017 | 09:40 am
Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung Balinese women walk while carrying offerings on their heads during the opening of the 39th Bali Art Festival at the Bajra Sandhi Monument in Denpasar. JP/Agung Parameswara (JP/Agung Parameswara)

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has made sure that tourist sites in Bali such as Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, Beratan Bedugul Lake and Tampak Siring Castle, Bali Safari and Marine Park, Garuda Wisnu Kencana, Sanur Beach, Tanjung Benoa, Goa Gajah, Nusa Penida area and Kuta Beach are safe amid the alert status of Mount Agung, the highest mountain in Bali, that had been raised to level 3 alert following an increase in volcanic activity.

BNPB information data central and public relations head Sutopo Purwo Nugroho confirmed that that there had been an increase in the volcanic activity of Mount Agung, Karangasem regency on September 22 from 12:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. A total of 58 shallow volcanic tremors, 318 deep volcanic tremors and 44 local tectonic tremors have occurred during that period.

Read also: Travel fair to boost Garuda’s business

The Center of Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG) recommends for residents around Mount Agung as well as climbers and tourists to stop any activity near the Mount Agung crater area. They are asked to stay away within a six-kilometer radius from the top of Mount Agung with an elevation of 950 meters from sea level and additional sectoral expansion to the north, southeast, and south-southwest for 7.5 kilometers.

“There should not be a single activity or person within this radius,” Sutopo added.

Sutopo moreover regretted the spreading of hoax news and exaggerated reporting that caused panic among the people.

“Apart from the restricted radius that has been announced by the PVMBG, tourism in Bali is still safe up until now,” said Sutopo.

Bali governor Made Mangku Pastika also made sure the activity in Mount Agung doesn’t disturb the tourism, he asked everyone to stop publishing fake news because Bali is a national and international tourist destination.

“So whatever happens in Bali will become a concern,” said Made. (asw)



NEWS PULSE

Join the discussions