Sail Sabang 2017 set to be Indonesia’s biggest sailing event
The Jakarta Post
Sail Sabang 2017 is slated to run from Nov. 28 until Dec. 5 in Sabang, Aceh.
Comprising a plethora of activities, including an international sailing competition, marine expo, traditional ship parade and a visit from two barquentine ships, namely KRI Dewaruci and KRI Bima Suci, Aceh Governor Irwandi Yusuf said Sail Sabang 2017 was set to be the biggest tourist event in Indonesia this year.
During the launch of Sail Sabang 2017 at the Tourism Ministry in Central Jakarta on Thursday, Irwandi said the Aceh administration had geared up to welcome guests.
He expressed his hope that Sail Sabang 2017 would not only become a platform to promote tourism in Aceh but also expedite the province’s development, adding that the event would be an opportunity to show the public that Aceh was safe place and ready to welcome guests and investors.
Read also: Sabang gears up for Sail Sabang 2017
“Through Sail Sabang , we hope that Sabang tourism can be [acknowledged by the public], allowing Sabang to contribute to [the government’s] target of 20 million [foreign] tourists by 2019,” he added.
Tourism Minister Arief Yahya also said that from the number of activities and yacht participants, Sail Sabang would be the biggest sailing event in Indonesia.
Furthermore, Arief mentioned that Sabang was among marine priority destinations, as it was strategically located and was home to beautiful nature, with cruises and yachts making frequent stops in the area every year.
Arief added that as one of the country's priority destinations, Sabang needed to offer economic value to the local community, adding that Sail Sabang 2017 was part of efforts to improve marine tourism by making Sabang an international marine destination. (kes)
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Victoria's Secret gala hits snag in China as model pulls out
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Paint thinner factory catches fire, no fatalities reported
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia