Gimme Five: Teacher creates unique greetings for students
A North Carolina fifth-grade teacher who designed unique and lively greetings for each of his students has become an internet sensation.
Video aired by WCNC-TV in Charlotte shows Barry White Jr. spinning in place, knocking elbows, bumping sides and slapping the hands of smiling, dancing students as they enter his classroom.
The television station says Ashley Park PreK-8 School encourages teachers to find creative ways to engage with students. White said the idea came to him when he saw Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James sharing creative handshakes with his inner circle. The teacher, a Cavaliers fan, decided it would be fun to try that at school.
White says performing the greeting several times helps with muscle memory. He now uses the handshakes to greet fellow educators and volunteers.
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- EDITORIAL: In step with the Nazis?
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police