Yogya film students join exchange program in Philippines
Ni Nyoman Wira
The Jakarta Post
In its third year, an annual exchange program for Asian film students is set to be held in the Philippines from Feb. 26 to March 10. Entitled “…and Action! Asia #03”, the program is attended by 19 film students from Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines.
Three students from the Jogja Film Academy will take part in the program this year, namely Egha Muhammad Harismina, Evan Secunda and Herry Setyadi. They will be accompanied by their lecturer, Yusmita Akhirul Latif.
The students will participate in several activities in the 13-day program, such as lectures, co-producing short films in Quezon City and screening their short films. They will get the opportunity to learn from guest speakers, including renowned film producer Bianca Balbuena, film director Carlitos Siguion Reyna and screenwriting guru Armando “Bing” Lao.
The screening will be open to the public on March 8 at the Cine Adarna UP Film Institute.
“…and Action! Asia #03” aims to encourage a new generation of filmmakers from Asia to achieve a greater understanding of filmmaking in other countries, expand their networks in the region and use their experience for their studies as well as careers.
This is the first time the program is held outside Japan, which is a result of collaboration between the Japan Foundation Asia Center, a unit of the Japan Foundation, and the University of the Philippines Film Institute. The program also cooperates with Ateneo de Manila University and De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde.
The program has been held since 2015. Students from different Asian countries, such as Myanmar, Vietnam, Japan, the Philippines and Indonesia, have participated. Students from the Jakarta Institute of Arts took part in 2015 and 2016. (asw)
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte