Indonesian students win chemical engineering competition in Malaysia
The Jakarta Post
A team of Indonesian students has won a chemical engineering competition held at Universiti Malaysia Pahang on Saturday.
The Spektronics team, consisting of students from the 10 November Institute of Technology (ITS) in Surabaya, East Java, won the 2017 National Chem-E Car Competition with the Spektronics Aerio Superior (AS), a mini-sized prototype car powered by a chemical reaction between hydrogen peroxide and ferric chloride catalyst.
Spektronics non-technical manager Ika Yuni Rachmawati told Antara news agency that the team had to tackle two challenges prior to winning the competition.
First, the car had to be able to shoot a ball into a goalpost and stop at a designated distance.
Second, the prototype was required to topple down bowling pins and stop at another designated distance.
“The contestants were only given two minutes to finish the challenges and thus a fast chemical reaction was needed,” she said.
Students from Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Monash University Malaysia and Universiti Malaysia Pahang were said to be among the toughest competitors faced by the Indonesian team in the event.
The 12th Chem-E Car national competition was participated in by 72 teams from 30 universities. (mas/kes)
- Rizieq wants to go home after being questioned in Saudi
- 'Wiro Sableng 212' strives to define Indonesian films
- Golkar to announce candidates for 2018 regional elections this month
- SEA Games Malaysia: Agus Prayogo wins men’s marathon silver
- Anambas Islands to finish airport expansion in September
- Jokowi signs election bill into law
- SM Entertainment releases statement over Taeyeon's airport incident
- Lombok to host Ampenan Old Town Cultural Festival
- Aceh highlights traditional cuisine to promote halal tourism
- Prison expansion sought to solve overcrowding problem