Indonesian students bring home silver medal in US robotic competition
The Jakarta Post
Students from Islamic school TechnoNatura International Madrasah won a silver medal in the innovation category of FIRST Global Challenge, an international robotic competition for high school students in Washington DC, United States, held on July 16-18.
Antara news agency reported that the team, comprising 10 students and three mentors, competed in the event through the presentation of Wowwi, a robot that has the ability to shoot balls into targets. The feature was used during the competition’s main challenge, where participating robots had to transport balls, which represented clean water and contaminant particles in accordance to this year's theme of water security issues, into the targets.
Up to 10 different categories of awards were given. Indonesia was awarded second place in the Ustad Ahmad Lahori Award for Innovation in Engineering category, which was said to be given to “teams that demonstrate creativity and innovation in building their robot to complete an aspect of the challenge”. The first place of the category went to the team from Latvia.
Tras Rustamaji, head of Madrasah TechnoNatura, said robotics had always been a part of the school’s curriculum, even from the elementary school level.
TechnoNatura students have won several national and regional competitions, which led the US Embassy in Jakarta to recommend the school for the FIRST Global Challenge. (mas/kes)
- Moon, Kim get peace award from Indonesian community
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Only 2% of ads show women as leaders: Study
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo