Indonesian student wins gold at International Biology Olympiad
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Biology Olympiad team on Sunday took home a gold medal, two silver and one bronze after a week-long competition at the 2017 International Biology Olympiad (IBO) in Warwick, England.
The event was held on July 23-30 at the University of Warwick campus, where 241 high school students from 64 countries participated.
From Indonesia, Agnes Natasya from SMAK BPK Penabur Kelapa Gading in Jakarta won a gold medal, as reported by Antara news agency. Syailendra Karuna Sugito from SMA Semesta BBS in Semarang and Muhammad Ikhsan from SMA Kharisma Bangsa in Tangerang each earned a silver medal, while Salsabiilaa Roihanah from SMA Semesta BBS in Semarang won a bronze medal.
The deputy leader of the Indonesian team, Ahmad Faizal, who teaches at the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), said that the Indonesian students worked on three practical topics: anatomy, plant systematics and genetics in the Plant Biology category; enzyme kinetics in the blood in the Biochemistry category; and insect larvae surgery in the Animal Development Physiology category.
In addition, he said, they also worked on two sets of computer-based theoretical problems over a total of six hours' work time at the event.
The participating Indonesian students previously went through an extensive selection process that culminated in the 2016 national level competition in Palembang, South Sumatra.
Students who were selected took part in a preparation process with the help of a specialized team of teachers and assistants from the Indonesian Biology Olympiad Team prior to their departure. (liz/kes)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China