Indonesian children’s choir crowned champions at European Grand Prix for Choral Singing
The Jakarta Post
The Resonanz Children’s Choir (TRCC), led by conductor Avip Priatna, has won an award at the European Grand Prix for Choral Singing (EPG Choral). Taking place in Maribor, Slovenia, on April 21, the annual music event has been held for 30 years.
Comprising 44 children, the TRCC presented seven songs, including Ad Amore by Lee R. Kesselman, Duo Seraphim by Thomas Luis de Victoria and Der Wassermann by Robert Schumann.
The Resonanz Children's Choir perform 'Janger' at the European Grand Prix for Choral Singing in Maribor, Slovenia. (JP/File)
Meanwhile, the group’s national identity was displayed through traditional Balinese song, Janger, composed by Agustinus Bambang Jusana, and two others from Indonesian composers, namely Salve Regina by Ivan Yohan and 137 Hip Street by Fero Aldiansya Stefanus.
Members of the Resonanz Chidren's Choir are applauded at the European Grand Prix for Choral Singing 2018. (JP/File)
The TRCC competed against 2017 champions of various other choir competitions, such as the Swedish Allmänna Sången, who won the International Choral Competition Gallus Maribor in Slovenia, Italian Coro Musicanova who won the Florilège Vocal de Tours in France and China’s Beijing Philharmonic Choir who won the Concorso Polifónico Guido d'Arezzo in Italy.
Read also: Dialita Choir: Voices of the silenced
Avip Priatna, music director of The Resonanz Music Studio, said in a statement that they are the first Indonesian choir to win a title at the EPG Choral.
“It shows that we are able to interpret the works of world composers as well as Indonesian compositions. Our singers have worked hard, making time to rehearse after school and on the weekends,” he went on to say.
The recent win at the EPG Choral adds to the long list of the TRCC’s achievements.
In 2017, the choir won the Children’s Choir and Public Audience Award at the Tolosa Choral Contest in Tolosa, Spain. They also secured the overall champion's title at Musica Eterna Roma International Choral Competition and Festival in the same year. (mut)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China