Five most sought-after Indonesian state universities
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia is home to 85 state universities, where high school graduates nationwide must compete for a place through a simultaneously held exam.
Around 860,000 students took the Joint Entrance Test for State Universities (SBMPTN) this week.
According to data by the central selection committee, here are the top five most sought-after universities, as compiled by kompas.com.
1. University of Indonesia, with 52,591 applicants
2. Gadjah Mada University, with 46,095 applicants
3. Padjadjaran University, with 44,138 applicants
4. Brawijaya University, with 36,468 applicants
5. Hasanuddin University, with 35,253 applicants
Kompas.com also compiled the top five cities in the country according to number of applicants that took the entrance exam.
1. Jakarta, with 74,927 participants
2. Medan, with 63,357 participants
3. Surabaya, with 60,727 participants
4. Bandung, with 56,069 participants
5. Makassar, with 51,800 participants
There are three types of exams for university applicants to choose from, namely the science and technology exam, social studies and humanities exam and a combined exam of both study areas.
The social studies and humanities exam had the highest number of participants, with over 359,000 applicants taking the exam. The science and technology exam had 341,000 participants and more than 159,000 people took the combined exam. (liz/kes)
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- 'Monster Hunter' on hold as China hits pause on new video games
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech