TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

India delays US trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs

One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Trump's move on Saturday to levy a temporary tariff of 15 percent, the maximum allowed by law, on US imports from all countries, following the court's rejection.

Reuters
New Delhi
Sun, February 22, 2026 Published on Feb. 22, 2026 Published on 2026-02-22T17:56:21+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
US President Donald Trump listens to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Community Summit on September 22, 2019 at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. Donald Trump and Narendra Modi both rose to power on nationalist appeals to their countries' majority communities. Both scoff at traditional media and enjoy making pronouncements by Twitter. And now, the two leaders will bond over an extravaganza of Indian culture as they visibly symbolize their alliance. The US president will join the Indian prime minister on Sunday at a football stadium in Houston where community representatives say they expect 50,000 Indian-Americans for performances followed by the leaders' remarks.

US President Donald Trump listens to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Community Summit on September 22, 2019 at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. Donald Trump and Narendra Modi both rose to power on nationalist appeals to their countries' majority communities. Both scoff at traditional media and enjoy making pronouncements by Twitter. And now, the two leaders will bond over an extravaganza of Indian culture as they visibly symbolize their alliance. The US president will join the Indian prime minister on Sunday at a football stadium in Houston where community representatives say they expect 50,000 Indian-Americans for performances followed by the leaders' remarks. (AFP/Thomas B. Shea)

I

ndia has delayed plans to send a trade delegation to Washington this week, chiefly because of uncertainty after the US Supreme Court struck down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, a source in its trade ministry said on Sunday. 

One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Trump's move on Saturday to levy a temporary tariff of 15 percent, the maximum allowed by law, on US imports from all countries, following the court's rejection.

"The decision to defer the visit was taken after discussions between officials of the two countries," said the source, who sought anonymity as the matter is a sensitive one. "No new date for the visit has been decided."

The delay came mainly from the uncertainty over tariffs following Friday's judgment, the source added.

The delegation had been set to leave on Sunday for talks to finalise an interim trade deal, after both countries agreed on a framework for Washington to cut punitive tariffs of 25 percent on some Indian exports linked to New Delhi’s Russian oil purchases.

US tariffs on Indian goods were set to be cut to 18 percent, while India agreed to buy US items worth $500 billion over five years, ranging from energy supplies to aircraft and parts, precious metals and technology products.

The Jakarta Post - Newsletter Icon

Prospects

Every Monday

With exclusive interviews and in-depth coverage of the region's most pressing business issues, "Prospects" is the go-to source for staying ahead of the curve in Indonesia's rapidly evolving business landscape.

By registering, you agree with The Jakarta Post's

Thank You

for signing up our newsletter!

Please check your email for your newsletter subscription.

View More Newsletter

India's opposition Congress party had called for the interim pact to be put on hold, urging a renegotiation and questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to issue a joint statement before the court’s ruling.

On Saturday, the Indian trade ministry said it was studying the implications of the judgment and later US announcements.

Last week, Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said the interim pact could take effect in April, after outstanding issues were resolved during the delegation’s visit to Washington.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.