TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Agency says Depok rape victim can still attend school

  • Yuli Tri Suwarni

    The Jakarta Post

Depok   /   Wed, October 10 2012   /  09:47 am

Depok Education Agency gave assurances on Tuesday that rape victim, SAS, could continue studying at the school that reportedly expelled her following media reports that she had been held captive and raped by a man she met via the social networking website Facebook.

“We will monitor this case and make sure that SAS is allowed to come to school. We will also check on her psychological state. For the time being, as she is still refusing to go to school, teachers will come to her house,” said the agency’s interim head Muhammad Nurdin.

He made the statement after mediation with the principal of the private junior high school in Depok, which was observed by councilor Lilis Latifah, the deputy speaker of Depok Council’s Commission D overseeing educational affairs, and Yobelni Batubara, an advocate at the National Commission on Child Protection.

The 14-year-old girl...