TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Official: Badminton brawl batters Thai image

Thailand's top badminton official said Friday he was trying to save the country's tarnished image after an on-court brawl between former Olympics doubles partners, which he called unprecedented in the past half-century of Thai badminton

Jocelyn Gecker (The Jakarta Post)
Bangkok
Fri, July 26, 2013 Published on Jul. 26, 2013 Published on 2013-07-26T14:46:14+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

T

hailand's top badminton official said Friday he was trying to save the country's tarnished image after an on-court brawl between former Olympics doubles partners, which he called unprecedented in the past half-century of Thai badminton.

Friday's comments by Charoen Wattanasin, president of the Badminton Association of Thailand, came a day after the world badminton body opened two disciplinary cases against the players for their outburst during the Canada Open men's doubles final.

The fight was caught on video and has hundreds of thousands of viewers online.

Success isn’t at the top of the corporate ladder anymore

From The Weekender

Success isn’t at the top of the corporate ladder anymore

My generation watched our parents give everything to a company. We decided to give it to ourselves instead. But it's more complicated than that.

Read on The Weekender

The footage shows Bodin Issara lunging at his ex-partner Maneepong Jongjit and chasing him around the court, then onto a neighboring court before punching him and kicking him several times on the ground.

Bodin, who needed two stitches, said Maneepong hit him with a racket. Prior to the blows, the pair had already received a warning from the referee for a verbal exchange.

"At this point, I'm not focusing on which side is right or wrong. The damage already happened and I'm trying to save the country's image in the badminton world," said Charoen, who has been involved in Thai badminton for nearly 60 years. "I've never seen any incident as embarrassing as this one. Badminton is a gentleman's game. Something like this has never happened before."

The Badminton World Federation said in a statement Thursday that its disciplinary committee was investigating the events and has asked both players to provide written explanations by Wednesday.

Both players face charges of inappropriate conduct, oral abuse and unsportsmanlike conduct. Bodin faces additional charges of physical abuse and conduct contrary to the integrity of the game.

Officials have not commented on possible sanctions but the players could face bans, suspensions or fines.

Bodin and Maneepong, both 22, were among the top-ranked badminton pairings and reached the quarterfinals at the 2012 Olympics. They split in January, when Bodin retired to take care of his ailing mother, but was soon competing again with another partner.

Sunday's final ended with Maneepong and new partner Nipitphon Puangpuapech, also from Thailand, being awarded the victory after Bodin was shown a black card.

Bodin issued an apology on national television earlier this week.

"I was smacked in my ear by a racket until I bled, and my ear ripped open. I lost my cool," he said. "I have to apologize to every Thai fan that I shed bad light on our country."

Our second Instagram account is the real one

From The Weekender

Our second Instagram account is the real one

In an act of rebellion against overexposure and performative social media, Gen Z are turning to smaller, controlled spaces on social media where they can be their authentic selves.

Read on The Weekender

___

Associated Press writer Thanyarat Doksone contributed to this report.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.