The Jakarta Post
According to updated figures from the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), the 6.5-magnitude earthquake in Aceh has killed 102 people and forced at least 3,267 people out of their homes.
“The total number of people seeking shelter has reached 3,267,” BNPT data and information head Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said on Thursday, as reported by tribunnews.com.
Sutopo added that 2,154 people had sought shelter in Pidie Jaya regency, which was the center of the earthquake that occurred on Wednesday morning, while the remaining 1,113 people had taken shelter in Bireun regency.
He said so far the earthquake was known to have killed 102 people and injured another 252.
“One resident is still reported missing,” he added.
Located in an area prone to seismic activity, Aceh has often been hit by earthquakes. The hardest quake happened in December 2004, when a 9.0-magnitute quake triggered a tsunami that washed onto the province and killed more than 200,000 residents. (jun)