The Jakarta Post
Hundreds of people from dozens of families in Karangasem, Bali, have chosen to evacuate to Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), after the alert for Mount Agung was increased to the highest level last week following an increase in its volcanic activity.
They are staying with relatives in Mataram and West Lombok. Although they are not staying in temporary shelters, the NTB administration and the province’s Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) are still providing humanitarian assistance to the evacuees, ensuring that their needs, including access to school for evacuated children, are fulfilled.
“Data recorded as of Thursday shows 164 evacuees from 60 families have arrived from Bali. Most of them are staying with their families in Mataram and West Lombok, but we will still provide humanitarian aid for them,” BPBD NTB head Mohammad Rum said on Thursday.
On Sunday, BPBD NTB and related stakeholders set up a Mt. Agung monitoring post at Lembar Port in West Lombok. They collected data on evacuees traveling via ferry to the port from Padangbai in Bali. This data includes their place of origin and the address of their family home where they will stay.
The data is intended to ease the distribution of humanitarian assistance for the evacuees in the province, such as food, family kits and school equipment.
Rum further said BPBD NTB, together with the Mataram and West Lombok administrations, had continued to encourage Mt. Agung evacuees to report their presence to the authorities of the villages or sub-districts where they were staying in order to facilitate aid distribution. (ebf)