Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Lawmaker allegedly beats up couple on street

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, June 21, 2018   /   02:38 pm
Lawmaker allegedly beats up couple on street House of Representatives member Herman Hery was reported to police for allegedly beating up a resident, Ronny Kosasih Yuliarto, and his wife in South Jakarta on June 10. ( Sunardi)

A member of the House of Representatives, Herman Hery, has been reported to the South Jakarta Police for allegedly beating a resident, Ronny Kosasih Yuliarto, and his wife on Jl. Arteri Pondok Indah, South Jakarta, on June 10.

Traffic police officers witnessing the incident had done nothing to stop the fight, Ronny’s lawyer, Febby Sagita, said in a written statement on Thursday.

The incident reportedly happened around 9:30 p.m. when Ronny was ticketed by the traffic police for driving on the Transjakarta bus lane.

Herman, an Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) politician, was reportedly driving a Rolls-Royce on the lane behind Ronny’s car. He then allegedly stepped out of the car and beat Ronny for no apparent reason.

Ronny, who was surprised by the attack, fought back. According to Febby, Herman’s aides then also exited the car, and together they beat Ronny.

Ronny’s wife, who tried to stop the fight, was also allegedly beaten by Herman and his aides.

Ronny’s children, aged 7 and 10, who were inside the car, witnessed the fight.

“The police later asked Ronny to stop and drive to the Pondok Indah Mosque to settle the conflict.

However, neither the police nor Herman came to the mosque to meet Ronny and his family,” Febby said.

The victims underwent a medical examination at the Pertamina Central Hospital (RSPP) and reported the incident to the South Jakarta Police.

However, because it was almost Idul Fitri, the police promised them they would follow up the case on June 21.

Febby said Ronny and his wife would go to the police office on Thursday to ask about the progress in the investigation.

Herman could not be reached for comment about this matter.