TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sun, June 24, 2018   /   02:12 pm
Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh The five men departed for a fishing trip around Rondo Island, which is located around 15 kilometers from Sabang, on Wednesday. Their ship had an engine problem a day later. (Shutterstock.com/File)

Authorities in Sabang, Aceh, rescued on Saturday three foreign tourists as well as two local fishing boat crew members that were stranded at sea for two days after their vessel had an engine failure.

As reported by tribunnews.com, the Sabang search and rescue team received information on the stranded boat on Friday at 4 p.m., which immediately responded by dispatching a team to rescue the stranded men.

The tourists were identified as Jonas, 25, from Ireland; Kevin, 35, from Germany and Jasper, 24, from Kenya. Meanwhile, the crew members were Amir, 37, who acted as the boat’s captain as well as Yun, 26.

The five men departed for a fishing trip around Rondo Island, which is located around 15 kilometers from Sabang, on Wednesday. Their ship had an engine problem a day later.

Sabang search and rescue post official Budi Darmawan said the men had been trying to send a distress call since Thursday but to no avail as they could not get a signal.

The men were found in good health, although their supplies had run out.

The Indonesian Navy from the Sabang base assisted the rescue efforts by tugging the large fishing boat to Sabang. “The boat and the men arrived at the base at around 9:20 p.m.,” Budi said.

After being questioned at the base as well as by other authorities, the three foreign tourists were released. (kuk)