The Jakarta Post
A team from the Mataram Prosecutors Office in West Nusa Tenggara arrested on Friday a Mataram councillor for allegedly demanding money from a local official who oversaw post-disaster reconstruction projects.
Multiple powerful earthquakes shook the region last month, damaging at least 57,000 houses and displacing over 110,000 people.
The councillor, identified only as HM, allegedly demanded money from an official at the Mataram Culture and Education Agency who oversaw a plan to rebuild several elementary and junior high school buildings in the city.
“We caught [HM] during a raid at a restaurant in Cakranegara, with evidence of Rp 30 million [US$2,031] in cash,” Mataram Prosecutors Office’s head I Ketut Sumadana said on Friday.
Sumadana said his office had received a tip-off last week from residents, who reported that HM had repeatedly asked for his share in the reconstruction projects in Mataram.
On Thursday evening, the team trailed HM, however the latter refused to accept money at the time because the amount was Rp 1 million. The team later caught HM red-handed after he accepted Rp 30 million in cash on Friday morning.
During the raid, the team also arrested HM’s colleague, identified only as CT, and the head of the Mataram Culture and Education Agency, identified only as HS. The team also seized one car belonging to HM, one motorcycle and two cellphones owned by HM and HS, Sumadana said. (afr/swd)