The Jakarta Post
A limited number of people will be able to start using the MRT in January when the operator begins the system’s trial operation, MRT Jakarta corporate secretary Tubagus Hikmatullah said in a statement.
Tubagus said MRT construction had reached 97 percent completion. He added the company would start entering the testing and commissioning phase as well as trial run.
“We will involve a limited number of residents,” Tubagus said a statement on Tuesday, adding that information about procedures and criteria for the people partaking in the trial run would be announced on Jan. 1.
Among those who have tried out the MRT are President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan and a number of journalists.
A parallel trial run will be implemented at the end of December and end in February, he said, adding that the MRT would commence commercial operations in March.
Previously, MRT Jakarta president director William Sabandar said the trial run would be implemented to allow MRT officers to gauge passenger flow and prepare for emergencies.
The 15.7-kilometer phase I runs from Lebak Bulus in South Jakarta to the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle in Central Jakarta. MRT development will continue to the 7.8-kilometer phase II, which ends in Kampung Bandan in West Jakarta.
Investment for phase I reached Rp 16 trillion ($1.05 billion), while investment for phase II totaled Rp 22.5 trillion. (bbn)