Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Bekasi officials admit taking Meikarta bribes

  • Arya Dipa

    The Jakarta Post

Bandung   /   Tue, January 29, 2019   /   10:26 pm
Bekasi officials admit taking Meikarta bribes Illustration of a construction site. (Shutterstock/File)

Bekasi Fire Agency head Sahat Maju Banjarnahor and his counseling and prevention division head Asep Buchori say they received a total of Rp 1 billion (US$70,961) in bribes from the Meikarta megacity project.

The claim was made on Monday during a trial at the Bandung Corruption Court in West Java of several defendants including Lippo Group executive Billy Sindoro, consultant Fitra Djaja Purnama and Bekasi regency administration officials, who worked on the licensing process for Meikarta.

Speaking as witnesses, Sahat and Asep said they received the money for issuing a recommendation on fire extinguisher installation for the project. The recommendation was needed to propose the building permit (IMB) for Meikarta.

“Pak Asep told me to help accelerate the recommendation because there was an instruction from the regent,” said Sahat.

Of the money, Sahat received Rp 610 million, Asep received Rp 270 million, and some Rp 30 million was handed over to Bekasi Regent Neneng Hasanah Yasin. “It was unofficial money, Sir, a bribe,” Asep told the panel of judges.

Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) prosecutor I Wayan Riyana said the signing date of the recommendation letter was also falsified. “It was signed in September but it was written ‘May 2018’ to make it in accordance with the other licensing processes for Meikarta,” he said.

The prosecutor also presented six other witnesses including Yani Firman of the West Java Bina Marga Agency, West Java administration secretary Iwa Karniwa, former West Java Bina Marga Agency head Guntoro, and Investment Agency head Dadang Mohamad. The trial was adjourned for Wednesday to hear more witnesses.