TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Residents sue Tangerang administration over eviction

  • A. Muh. Ibnu Aqil

    The Jakarta Post

PREMIUM
Tangerang   /   Wed, April 17, 2019   /  04:42 pm
The Jakarta Post Image
Protesters calling themselves the Coalition against Batuceper Eviction rally in front of the Tangerang District Court on April 16. The residents, represented by the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta), filed a lawsuit against the Tangerang administration for the eviction of 10 families from their houses in Batujaya subdistrict, Tangerang, Banten. (JP/A. Muh. Ibnu Aqil)

Residents of Batujaya subdistrict, Batuceper district, Tangerang, in Banten province have filed a lawsuit against Tangerang city administration for evicting people from land that they claim to have lived on for decades. Jenny Silvia Sirait of Jakarta Legal Aid Foundation (LBH Jakarta), who represented the evictees, said 10 families comprising 35 people had lived in four houses on 380 square meters of land since 1959. However, the Tangerang administration evicted them on Oct. 3 last year after claiming that they were living on state land. “After they were evicted they were given no clarity about where they should live or relocate to,” Jenny said after filing the lawsuit at the Tangerang District Court on Tuesday. She said the residents’ previous queries about the status of the land had been ignored. Defendants in the lawsuit are the Tangerang administration, ...