The Jakarta Post
City-owned transportation company PT MRT Jakarta's operation and maintenance director Muhammad Effendi has said the MRT would charge its full fare starting May 13 and that the firm was disseminating information about it to passengers.
“Starting May 13, we will charge the normal fare. We have been disseminating the information since we extend the discount period that should have ended on April 30,” he said on Tuesday.
From May 13, the lowest fare will be Rp 3,000 (21 US cents) between two stations and up to Rp 14,000 to travel from Lebak Bulus Station in South Jakarta to Bundaran HI Station in Central Jakarta.
Data from April 2 to 28 shows that Jakartans have been flocking to the MRT, with the lowest usage on April 4 with 62,352 passengers and the highest on April 13 with 116,074 passengers.
The MRT saw 82,615 passengers on average daily since its commercial operation started on April 1.
Effendi said the firm would encourage integration with other transportation modes to suppress the potential of losing passengers once the discounted fare period end.
“We have programs to increase the number of people using the MRT, such as integrating with Transjakarta as well as the private sector,” he said.
Previously, MRT Jakarta president director William Sabandar said the firm estimated the MRT would see a 39 percent drop in passengers once the normal fare was applied.
“Some people really need comfort and punctuality, while others are price sensitive,” William said in Dukuh Atas, Central Jakarta, on April 30. (sau)