TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

RI tourism suffers $1.5 billion loss as COVID-19 hits hard

  • Riza Roidila Mufti

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, March 17 2020   /  01:59 am

The Indonesian tourist sector has suffered losses of at least US$1.5 billion since January as cancelations have hit the industry, especially hotels, amid growing fears over the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, an industry source has said.Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI) chairman Hariyadi B. Sukamdani said that of the total estimated losses, about $1.1 billion occurred as a result of cancelations made by tourists from China and the remaining $400 million resulted from cancelations made by tourists from other countries.“The losses are growing as people prefer to stay at home rather than going on vacation,” Hariyadi, who also chairs the Indonesia Employers Association (Apindo), said in Jakarta on Thursday.He said that other related businesses such as the suppliers of hotels for their daily operations, which mostly comprise small and medium companies, had been badly a...