TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Bumi Resources Mineral to hold private placement to pay debt

  • Norman Harsono
    Norman Harsono

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, May 27, 2020   /   12:12 pm
Bumi Resources Mineral to hold private placement to pay debt A teller counts United States dollar banknotes at a money changer in Jakarta on March 19. (JP/Wendra Ajistyatama)

Publicly listed mineral miner PT Bumi Resources Mineral (BRMS) plans to issue US$52 million worth of new shares in a private placement this year to finish paying off a three-year-old debt penalty.

The indebted miner is slated to sell all the shares to Singapore-based management consulting firm Wexler Capital Pte, to which BRMS owes the money. The miner plans to request shareholder approval over the debt-for-equity swap during a meeting on June 24.

Read also: Omnibus bill to centralize permit processing, offer incentives for miners

“After completing this transaction, BRMS’s minority shareholder ownership will only be diluted by 2.3 percent,” BRMS director Herwin W. Hidayat said in a statement on Tuesday.

The sale is expected to improve the miner’s debt-to-equity ratio and liquidity, he added.

Publicly-listed BRMS owes Wexler $154.96 million worth of shares after the consultancy and other creditors won a court case at the South Jakarta District Court in 2017.

Read also: Miners call for more government support amid rising problems

The miner paid off 65 percent of its debt to Wexler in 2017 and was scheduled to pay off the remaining 35 percent in 2018 but delayed payments twice until this year, according to a BRMS investor notice about the swap uploaded on the Indonesian Stock Exchange (IDX) website on May 18.

As of December 2019, Wexler holds a 9.79 percent ownership of BRMS. The miner booked a $1.28 million net profit in 2019, turning around a $103.5 million net loss from the previous year.