TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Jakarta sets up measures to prevent public New Year's Eve celebrations

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, December 31, 2020   /   03:41 pm
Jakarta sets up measures to prevent public New Year's Eve celebrations A resident wearing protective gear carries a poster urging people to welcome the new year at home. (Antara/Mohammad Ayudha)

The Jakarta administration has put in place measures to prevent New Year's Eve celebrations in the capital city in a bid to curb COVID-19 transmission during the year-end holiday.

As many as 94 roads and public facilities across the city will be closed or have their access restricted on New Year's Eve to prevent crowds and celebrations on the roads.

The city administration will also restrict access to 11 popular spots in West Jakarta, including, Kota Tua, child-friendly public places (RPTRA) and several city parks.

Likewise, access will be closed or restricted to 15 facilities and roads in South Jakarta, 31 in East Jakarta, 26 in Central Jakarta, 11 in North Jakarta and 3 in Thousand Islands, such as Cavalio Lake, Monas, the Gelora Bung Karno sport complex, the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle and the Kelapa Gading jogging park.

Other facilities and roads that will have their access heavily restricted on New Year's Eve are Velodrome in East Jakarta, the Sudirman area in South Jakarta, Lapangan Banteng in Central Jakarta and Plaza Mangga Dua Square in North Jakarta.

The Jakarta Police will also set up 11 security posts on the outskirts of the capital city to restrict entry to the city.

Jakarta Police chief Insp. Gen. Mohammad Fadil Imran previously said the authorities would randomly check vehicles and rest areas around Greater Jakarta to ensure there were no crowds or other health protocol violations.

The city administration has also limited operational hours of cafes, restaurants, entertainment venues, tourist attractions and shopping malls from Dec. 31 to Jan. 3.

On those specific dates, the aforementioned venues are only allowed to operate until 7 p.m. and must limit their visitors to 50 percent of their capacity in accordance with a gubernatorial instruction issued by Governor Anies Bawedan on Dec. 16.

Under the instruction, the operational hours of public transportation in the city are also limited to only 8 p.m. from Dec. 18 to Jan 8.

Jakarta Deputy Governor Ahmad Riza Patria urged business owners and the management of tourist spots not to hold events to celebrate New Year's Eve and warned violators of the consequences.

"We won't hesitate to punish hotels, restaurants, or tourist spots that hold crowd-pulling events by revoking their business permits," he said on Wednesday as reported by kompas.com.

Riza also advised Jakartans to remain at home during the year-end holiday to prevent a spike in coronavirus transmissions.

"Please don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary, such as to visit a health facility or to purchase your basic needs," he said, adding that health protocol violators could face financial sanctions from the city administration.

Jakarta recorded a significant increase in new confirmed cases in the past four weeks, with experts suspecting they came as a result of a long weekend in late October.

Infection clusters at workplaces and in households remained the main source of COVID-19 transmission in Jakarta, Anies previously said.

From Dec. 7 and 13, the city reported 3,821 cases linked to household clusters and 313 cases believed to originate from workplaces. (nal)