TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

46 Indonesians caught in Malaysian immigration raid

  • A. Muh. Ibnu Aqil
    A. Muh. Ibnu Aqil

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sun, December 27, 2020   /   12:50 pm
46 Indonesians caught in Malaysian immigration raid Indonesian migrant workers deported from Malaysia with their babies and children enter the Indonesian Migrant Workers Placement and Protection post at Pelindo I Dumai Port in Dumai, Riau, on March 8. (Antara/Aswaddy Hamid)

Some 46 Indonesian nationals were caught in a recent raid by immigration authorities in Pahang State, Malaysia, the Foreign Ministry has confirmed.

The Indonesian nationals were apprehended for alleged immigration violations, the Ministry’s citizen protection director, Judha Nugraha, said. They comprise 19 men, 22 women, two children and three infants.

“All the Indonesians, including the children and infants are healthy [testing negative for COVID-19] and are currently in good condition,” Judha said in a written statement on Friday.

All of the Indonesians had been placed at the Kemayan-Pahang Immigration Detention Center on Friday after they were first caught in a raid on Dec, 14. They will later be deported by the Malaysian authorities.

The Indonesian Consulate General (KJRI) in Johor Baharu is currently assisting the detainees with consular access, surveying and verifying their data, issuing travel documents in lieu of passports (SPLP) and providing legal assistance.

Read also: Malaysia to deport some 4,800 undocumented Indonesian workers in custody

Judha added that officials at KJRI in Johor Baharu had also visited Kampung Semaut shelter in Genting Highlands in Pahang to deliver 197 packages of groceries as the local authorities implemented movement control orders (PKPD) in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Malaysian news site Harian Metro previously reported that the 46 Indonesians had been charged under Malaysian Immigration Act 1959/63. Thirty-three of them were charged with not having proper travel documents while 11 of them were charged with overstaying their permits, and two for passport abuse.