TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Europe aims to rely less on US defense after Trump's Greenland push

Transatlantic ties have already been strained over the past year by Donald Trump’s return to the White House. But the US president’s push to annex Greenland dramatically increased European doubts about Washington’s commitment to protect the continent through the NATO alliance.

Andrew Gray, John Irish and Sabine Siebold (Reuters)
Munich, Germany
Mon, February 16, 2026 Published on Feb. 16, 2026 Published on 2026-02-16T14:46:54+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Arctic outpost: The Nuuk Cathedral or Church of Our Saviour on March 4, 2025, in Nuuk, Greenland. Arctic outpost: The Nuuk Cathedral or Church of Our Saviour on March 4, 2025, in Nuuk, Greenland. (AFP/Odd Andersen)

E

uropean Commission President Ursula von der Leyen reflected a feeling of profound change among European leaders at this weekend's Munich Security Conference when she said: "Some lines have been crossed that cannot be uncrossed anymore".

Transatlantic ties have already been strained over the past year by Donald Trump’s return to the White House. But the US president’s push to annex Greenland dramatically increased European doubts about Washington’s commitment to protect the continent through the NATO alliance.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered limited reassurance to Europeans in his conference speech. Rubio said the US wanted to work with Europe and used a warmer tone than Vice President JD Vance last year. But he was critical of Europe's recent political course and did not mention NATO, Russia or Moscow’s war in Ukraine - issues on which a gulf has emerged between the US and its partners in the alliance.

With the war about to enter its fifth year and Moscow viewed as an increasing threat by its European neighbors, leaders from the continent declared they would accelerate efforts to boost their own defenses and rely less on the US.

That, in theory, puts them on the same page as Trump. His administration says it expects Europe to take primary responsibility for the conventional defense of the continent in the coming years. In return, Washington will keep its nuclear umbrella over Europe and uphold NATO’s mutual defense pact.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer pledged their commitment in Munich to a stronger “European pillar” within NATO. But a stronger home-grown defense is also a hedge against Trump or a future U.S. leader deciding not to defend Europe.

“This new beginning is right under all circumstances. It is right if the United States continues to distance itself. It is right as long as we cannot guarantee our own security on our own,” Merz told the conference on Friday.

In another sign of the nervousness surrounding US security commitments, Merz said he had begun talks with Macron about a European nuclear deterrence.

France holds the only truly independent nuclear deterrent in Europe since Britain's Trident nuclear missiles are made and maintained by the United States.

The big question for Europe and its leaders is whether they can match their words with deeds – to buy and develop new weapons systems, to fill gaps in their arsenals in areas such as long-range missiles and to coordinate their work.

The signs so far are mixed.

Driven by fears of Russia and exhortations from Trump, European countries have boosted defense spending. NATO members agreed last year to raise spending on core defense from 2 percent of GDP to 3.5 percent of GDP, with a further 1.5 percent to be spent on other security-related investments.

European defense spending has risen nearly 80 percent since before the war in Ukraine began, von der Leyen told the Munich conference.

European countries are forming consortia to build complex weapons systems. Defense ministers from France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Sweden signed a letter of intent on Thursday to advance work on European Long-range Strike Approach (ELSA), a project to develop “deep strike” missiles.

On the sidelines of a NATO defense ministers’ meeting on Thursday, coalitions of European countries agreed to work together on four projects, including ballistic missile defense and air-launched munitions.

But some high-profile pan-European projects have struggled to get off the ground. The future of the FCAS French-German-Spanish fighter jet project has been in the balance for months, with the partners unable to agree on the share of work for the companies involved.

Debates on European Union defense projects have been accompanied by wrangling over whether they should be limited to EU companies or open to others.

France has been the strongest advocate to “buy European” provisions while the likes of Germany and The Netherlands argue for a more open approach.

Amid the debates in the swanky Bayerischer Hof hotel, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy brought home the reality of modern war, surrounded by giant screens showing images and statistics of Russian attacks. Last month alone, Ukraine was attacked by more than 6,000 drones and 150 missiles.

“During this war, weapons evolve faster than political decisions meant to stop them,” he told the delegates.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.